Friday, July 6, 2007

Ruby, Ruby on Rails, RoR and RadRails . .

For a couple of months now I have been reading about Ruby and Ruby on Rails also known as RoR.

During these few months I came across these new stuffs. I will just try to jot them down, as many as I can remember for now.

Ruby:
Rails:
Ruby on Rails (RoR):
InstantRail:
WeBrick:
Mongrel:
Eclipse:
RadRails:
Aptana:

I will try to give a brief desc. of all of these here in the simplest way possible :)

What is ruby ?
A dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write.
source: www.ruby-lang.org

Its different from any other programming language, one must have a basic understanding of Ruby syntax and the Ruby way of programming before he can start developing application in Ruby on Rails. In simple words one can say that Ruby is the language used to write Ruby on Rails application.
--my words

Ruby is a pure object-oriented programming language with a super clean syntax that makes programming elegant and fun. Ruby successfully combines Smalltalk's conceptual elegance, Python's ease of use and learning, and Perl's pragmatism. Ruby originated in Japan in the early 1990s, and has started to become popular worldwide in the past few years as more English language books and documentation have become available.
source: Curt Hibbs @ http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html


What is Rails?
Rails is an open source Ruby framework for developing database-backed web applications.
What is Ruby on Rails?
source: Curt Hibbs @ http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html

What is Ruby on Rails?
Use of Ruby programming on Rails framework to develop web application is called Ruby on Rails.

What is InstantRails ?
If you want to start developing web applications in "ruby on rails" right away, InstantRail is the instant solution.
It has almost everything one needs to start developing a web application.

"Instant Rails is a one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby, Rails, Apache, and MySQL, all pre-configured and ready to run."
source:http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

I wanted to write about all the terms that I mentioned above buut I realized that I am running out of time. I will write about them as soon as I get some time again for my this little blog.

If you are someone like me a few motnhs back, My suggestion will be to start with learning Ruby first. Its very important to be versed with Ruby programming syntax and structure.

So, go ahead, download the and install Ruby runtime from this one click installer http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/18566/ruby186-25.exe

grab a ruby book and start practising.

0 comments: