Monday, July 9, 2007

Wireless credit card, wow

I came across this news headlines "Wells Fargo, Visa to offer consumers wireless credit card option"

The news detail goes like this :

"Wells Fargo & Co. is looking to give its credit card customers a way to pay for items at stores and restaurants with a wireless device through an agreement with Visa USA.

Wells Fargo is currently testing out Visa's mobile platform payment technology. Bank officials also are examining whether consumers would buy into the mobile service.. to read the full story go here.

The reason I am writing about this news article is that it got me totally confused. In India I have not yet witnessed any form of wireless credit card payment option. So, it was diffcult for me to imagine the it will work.

After spending a few minutes searching and filtering throug materials on wireless credit card processing, I realized that there are two diffirent things people might be talking when they say wireless. They might mean wireless or mobile. The news article got me confused because it uses wireless as well as mobile both terms in this sentence- "Wells Fargo is currently testing out Visa's mobile platform payment technology."

I am not sure If the article is talking about the wireless payment or the mobile payment option.

If you want to learn the difference between wireless and mobile payment options, I found this material to be useful http://www.merchantseek.com/mobile-credit-card-processing.htm.

I am still not sure if I got them right ;)

1 comments:

shannon said...

I know that Apple went wireless sometime last year for their credit card processing. It seems to work for them alright, I don't really see how it can be a bad thing, except that the equipment could get expensive, I would think.